Describe and update the GCI evolution strategy and architecture based on documented and emerging user requirements, the analysis of the evolving landscape for technology and production/ consumption of Earth Observation (EO) data products and services. Conduct research and development activities, in collaboration with public, private, and voluntary sectors, to develop and test new functionalities, solutions, and components needed to support the GEO Strategic Plan objectives and user needs. Prepare documentation and training materials needed to support the transition from development to operations of identified new components and solutions.
This task will be implemented by the GEOSS Development Working Group (GDWG) in collaboration with GD02 (GCI Operations including access to Knowledge) task, and will include major contributors. The GEO Secretariat will support the GDWG and ensure that its activities are fully supportive of the GCI.
a. Contributors (JRC, USGS, CNR, ESA, OGC, IEEE, NOAA)
- Develop a GEOSS Architecture based on documented and emerging user requirements informed by the GD08 (SBA process), GD09 (Knowledge Base Development), Flagships, Initiatives,Community Activities, and analysis of the evolving landscape for technology and production/consumption of EO data products and services
- Develop and test new GCI functionalities, solutions, and components
- Collect and analyze the survey results supporting theData Management Guidelines and develop a process to implement the Guidelines for providers
- Implement subsequent Demonstration Pilot Projects this year in 2016 to test solutions and to promote the use of GEOSS data in developing products and services. Demonstration Pilots will 1) discover assets that respond to a flagships EO data needs, 2) efficiently access and harvest the responsive assets and 3) operationally integrate those resources into a short-term or long-term GEOSS product or service for societal use. (ex. GEOGLAM Crop)
- Promote the advancement of GEOSS interoperability through the Standards and Interoperability Forum (SIF)
- Engage the GEOSS community through guidelines and tutorials that explains the utilization of the GEOSS and the GCI.
- Continue to develop the Community Portal Recommendations paper that provides best practices, examples and lessons-learned to promote and facilitate communities’ use of the GCI and assist them in contributing their capabilities to GEOSS.
b. GEO Secretariat
- Overarching coordination and support
- GCI Requirements consolidation and update.